TexMex Country

TexMex Country

A trip to Monterrey/Mexico

We left Brownsville at 1pm or so and arrived in Monterrey around 6pm. What a big city. Our hotel was in downtown, so we could walk to the restaurants and all the places we liked to visit.
After we had checked-in, we decided to go out for dinner. It was a little early, but we were hungry. It did not take long until we found a nice looking restaurant. As a matter of fact, this restaurant, named "Novum", was perfect. The waiters were very knowledgeable and polite, the food was delicious and they had good live music as well. All that for a reasonable price. We had a great evening.

The next morning Lidia and I decided to do some sightseeing while our husbands would do business.
Monterrey downtown reminds me a little bit of Germany. Old buildings next to modern ones, walking on cobblestone and a nice shopping mile in the middle. I wish Brownsville had something like that.

Our first stop was the cathedral. It is almost impossible to pass this beautiful building without taking a peek inside.
Strolling along I noticed a huge orangy thing. Lidia told me that this is the Tower of Commerce, Faro de Comercio, visible from anywhere in downtown.
another impressive building: the Governor's Palace
Very interesting sculptures are scattered all over the city, this one I called the "Michelin horse" because it looks like the little man in the Michelin commercial.
One day later the four of us decided to see the Museum of Modern Art. Mario and Lidia love art and they take every chance to visit a gallery. Volker and I do not appreciate art as much, but it was a very interesting exhibition.
The entrance of the MARCO. A huge pigeon is greeting the visitor. We spent half a day there.
In the evening we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant. This place, "Las Caterinas" (ladybug), is also a nice one. I was told to try cabrito, baby goat, a specialty of Monterrey. It was good!

Monterrey is nicely nestled between mountains. Mostly industrial, they are working hard on their appearance, and I think they a doing a good job here. I really like the Riverwalk or Paseo Santa Lucia, where small coffee shops and restaurants invite to sit and enjoy.
there are also boat tours for tired feet
this couple decided to have their picture taken hereVolker and Marioa mountain view
Sunday morning, after breakfast, it was time to drive home, but all of us thought we should do this again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a nice place. You will have to take us there when we come visit:)

Mrs. M and Dr. V ;) said...

Let's hope the situation improves over there. I would love to visit Monterrey again ...
M.