This morning, while I was checking my emails, I noticed some excitement in our yard.Curious what the fuss might be about, I looked out my office window. What I saw was more of a dream come true - a squirrel in our yard!
Tiger must have felt the same because the moment he saw it, he went after it. He grew up in Gainesville, FL where squirrels probably outnumber the population of humans, so this was very exciting. I would bet he was the happiest cat on earth seeing those fury things he used to chase up trees ( I never saw him hurting one, he always stopped very close behind it. Boo!)
I believe this might be a mockingbird, but maybe it is not. This one was keeping an eye on the squirrel.
You can tell the grackle was not amused. Look at her! If looks could kill ....
The birds don't like squirrels because they go after the nests and right now is a very busy time for them. They are very cautious and carefully pick a spot for their homes.
The oriole has decided to go with the free swinging option. The nest looks so fragile. I always worry when the wind starts to pick up. Until recently they still were building the nest.
The kiskadees have leased the penthouse this year. The view from the top must be a top seller. Last year we had the black-bellied-whistling-ducks raising their young there.
The green parakeets like palm trees, and we don't have any, but they also are very playful. Their new playground is above my office, and believe me, sometimes they drive me bananas. Green parakeets are very noisy! I had parakeets in Germany since I was little and still love them for their funny behavior.
They also have an urge to chew and as you can see, they found a spot. We are not sure what we are going to do about it.
Now that most of the ducks have left, the remaining two pairs share their corn with the blackbirds.
For my other garden friends I have seed and nectar feeders.Once in a while I also provide fresh fruit.
Soon the bird babies are going to be fledgelings and then it will get much more quiet in our yard, but until then I am going to enjoy it.
What is going on in your yard? I would love to know.
















1 comment:
I like to read your blog. Excellent photography and information too.
Ashwini
Post a Comment