I wanted to tell you about the amazing scenery and all the wonderful moments, but I forgot all about it when I saw this:
While we were in Scotland, a heavy thunderstorm had moved across Texas
and the Rio Grande Valley. It makes me feel very sad to see that our
already weakened Mexican Lime Trees fell victim to it.
The first cut. We need to cut off more but the saw's battery gave up and now it is raining, so it will have to wait a little.
My veggie beds also didn't survive. The tomatoes, peppers and even the herbs are full of aphids, leaf miners and all I can do is ripping out the plants and throwing them in the garbage. Sadly we never had a chance to taste the wonderful jalapenos and spicy peppers that were growing while we were gone.
... and if that wasn't enough, this morning our neighbor's tree gave up as well. It barely missed my flower bed. I should have told my neighbor's that they needed to cut short all the branches after I noticed the rotten and brittle wood caused by last year's freeze, but I didn't bother. Now I have the honor of cleaning up their mess. I am pretty sure the other remaining branches will follow sooner or later. Lucky me, I wasn't anywhere near.
I see a lot of creative gardening in my future: Rethinking layouts and adding new plants. A gardener's work never ends, isn't that true? Well, if you have any ideas, please let me know. I surely appreciate good advice right now.






2 comments:
I feel your pain. Two days ago I lost a large branch right in the middle of my Pecan tree. I think this is as much a result of a weakening of the trees by freezing in the past couple of winters.
I agree. First the freezing temps, then the long drought and now we are getting good rain - unfortunately it is too much for the weakened trees.
Our Pecan tree is bending down from the weight of all the nuts that grow on it. I am crossing fingers that it won't break as well but pecan is a brittle wood.
For now we are dealing with the neighbor's tree. The broken branch is too heavy to lift, we need at least two or three more men for the job. I am pretty sure that it is not the last branch to come down, so I will ask Larry to cut down the rest of his tree - safety comes first.
Post a Comment