I wasn't particularly interested in bird watching at first, there are far more interesting places to watch them. However, after living in Brownsville for almost five years now I have become a birder. Well, sort of. I still do not sit for hours to catch a shot of one particular bird, but I keep an eye out for anything new or interesting.
Not long ago my husband and I took a trip to Estero Llano State Park. We enjoy walking around, learning about this area and if we see some wildlife - even better. Right at the visitor center we already could see some water fowl.
As we paid our entrance fee, we overheard people talking about a night hawk being spotted. Apparently this is a very well camouflaged bird, not easy to find. A rarely seen bird - where was that spot again? It had sparked my interest, and the park lady was so kind to show us on the map where we might see one.
We headed down the trail, almost overlooking a majestic Great Egret wading around.
With its very short bill, long wings and roosting on the ground it really didn't strike me as one. But, there it was!
We took a few shots and for a very brief moment the bird even opened its eyes for us. Really cool!
We watched it for a couple more minutes before moving on. What else would we see? Well, as it turned out not much that day.
I spotted an alligator at the alligator lake, though.
There it was, sun bathing
We continued walking down the trails for about two more hours before heading back home.
This weekend we might go to the Sabal Palm Sanctuary or the Birding Center on South Padre Island. Maybe we can spot another rare bird. The season has just started.






2 comments:
Great shots of the night hawk, Michaela. What are these beautiful green/yellow/turquoise birds?
They are green jays, Shirley. Very common down here. Mature birds have a darker blue head.
Post a Comment