TexMex Country

TexMex Country

Dinner with pirates

Last weekend Volker and I were in the mood for some seafood. We had heard about a place in Port Isabel where they supposedly serve great dinner. Only catch: Well, we had to get there and then take on a bunch of pirates.

Port Isabel is 25 miles from us, and in Germany I wouldn't dream of driving that far for dinner, but being in the US for quite some time now, I am used to thinking "it's around the corner".

On the way you pass the Port of Brownsville, an industrial area. According to their website, "the Port of Brownsville provides the most efficient services to facilitate the international movement of goods between Mexico and the United States, including
  • construction of offshore drilling rigs
  • ship repairing and dismantling
  • steel fabrication, boat construction
  • rail car rehabilitation
  • LPG storage/distribution
  • waste oil recovery
  • bulk terminating for miscellaneous liquids
  • grain handling and storage  
I think it could be interesting to take a closer look.

It was very windy that day, so I tried to take pictures with rolled up windows while Volker was driving. Sorry for the quality.
ESCO Marine, known for ship breaking, recycling and selling usable parts
 
AmFels (Keppel Offshore & Marine) is also located here. As far as I know they design, construct and repair oil rigs and ships
not to forget: transportation
Fishing is a major thing here, of course 
I think those are shrimp boats...
Once you get to Port Isabel, it is getting more interesting.
Port Isabel
 Port Isabel's lighthouse. Not active anymore, but you can visit it.
 
 a view towards the pier
Volker would love to do the same (reading a book, I mean)
 even though it was quite windy, or because of that, we saw many people fishing
... but we prefer our fish already prepared and ready to eat

first we had to quietly sneak past the pirates
 
before we entered the restaurant at Pirate's Landing

 Volker had to have oysters, they were big and meaty
 after a good dinner, we headed back to our car ...just in time
  ... to escape the returning crew of pirates ;)
Next time, maybe, we will have dinner with the pirates. They were not scary after all :)

No comments: