It has rained quite a bit in the past 14 days and as much as we needed the rain and I enjoyed the cooler temperatures, I couldn't do much in the garden. So there is a lot of work to do, but before I start trimming, cleaning up and eventually planting, I started something else, something for myself. Today I picked up walking again, and this time I hope I stick to it. It's funny, while walking I realized how many little creatures live in our neighborhood that I hadn't seen before. The rain brought them all out: herons, snakes, bats, even a pet bunny on the loose. When I came back from my walk I caught a most interesting scenario: a hunting bug (sorry, I don't know the name of it) pulling a paralized (or dead?) tarantula back to its hole in the ground. This guy was working his butt off, seriously.
I ran inside to get my camera and got a few shots before it disappeared into the darkness.
along the wall, down
and back to its hiding. The spider was bigger than the hunter but the hunter was very determined.
What kind of creatures have you seen that amazed you lately?
note from September 28th: I was told the bug is not a bug but a wasp. It is a tarantula hawk wasp. It paralyzes the spider to lay an egg on it. The poor tarantula will suffer a slow death as food source.



No comments:
Post a Comment