By now I know every common noise in our neighborhood. Seriously. I know every single "chirp" in our garden, so I recognize a "stranger" right away. Well, it actually was the fact that it sounded too familiar that made me curious. A familiar noise from my past.
I used to have parakeets, got my first one when I was little. His name was Hansi and he could speak. The smartest little bird I ever owned. He talked a lot and was very tame. Then I got Cuki- a girl, and a biter. I added a few more parakeets over the next 25 years, most of them given to me, and then I got this little guy with almost no feathers. He looked like a porcupine, really. The feathers wouldn't come out, he was born that way. The breeder was about to kill him, so I bought this little guy. Never thought he would survive his first year, but he did. I loved him to death. He was a brave one, would jump from his cage on the floor (to me it was like jumping from a skyscraper). Then he would run after me, hop on my foot and go everywhere with me. He was always near me, for years. When I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) he came with me. It broke my heart to leave him behind when we decided to move to the States. Maybe it broke his heart too because he died shortly after.
Anyway, what I like to say is that I am very familiar with the sounds that parakeets make, and I will recognize them everywhere.
I knew it the second I heard it. The sound came from my neighbors garden. Maybe they got ... ? No, no way. But where ...?
Today I heard it again, and then I saw it
A beautiful male grey-blue parakeet enjoying the seeds in our feeder. Maybe a lost one?
I watched him for a while, then got my camera and took a few shots, he did not mind, but when I tried to approach him, he flew off. I was about ten feet away. I do not think I will be able to catch him.
It is warm down here, so he is fine for now, but I am not so sure if he can survive the dangers of living in nature. He looked okay, though.
In case he decides to come back, he is welcome to snack in our garden. I hope he does. He reminds me of my little friend from Germany. A lovely memory from my past.

No comments:
Post a Comment